Welcome to IMS Forums 6. Bug Reports Bug Reports

This topic contains 38 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Rich 2 months ago.

• Author

Let us know what, if any, issues you find and additional capabilities we should add to the site, to help you, as an artist.

Anonymous

Hey, hey! Good to see things progressing. Here’s a few more thoughts. (Let me know if I’ve just not seen these things already.)
    > I’d like to be able to Follow artists of my choosing and to be notified by email when they post a new tune.
    > I’d like to be notified by email if someone comments on a tune of mine.
    > I’d like to also receive an email if someone tags me with a “@Becs” in a comment anywhere.
    That’s all for now. 🙂 Thanks

Anonymous

> I would really like to be able to edit my song descriptions.
    > I would like to be able to delete a song.
    > I’d like to be able to edit my comments on other people’s songs.

I realize I can ask for edits and deletions to be done. I hope there is a solution that will allow the artist to have that control.

Great suggestions.
    I’ll definitely look into seeing what can be done to incorporate them.
    Thanks, Becs.

janasaisquoi
    Participant

great suggestions by becs!
    > i would love to be able to click on someone’s name in the chat and have it link to their artist page

Clicking on a username will now link to their artist profile page.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous

Another function that doesn’t seem to make sense or isn’t functioning correctly is when one is on a Song page there is no link (that I’ve found) to the Artist’s page. There is a clickable link in the About the Author section on the song page and that takes you to a page called Archives with a search field. Seems like that should take one directly to the Artist’s page.

“Another function that doesn’t seem to make sense or isn’t functioning correctly is when one is on a Song page there is no link (that I’ve found) to the Artist’s page. There is a clickable link in the About the Author section on the song page and that takes you to a page called Archives with a search field. Seems like that should take one directly to the Artist’s page.”

Submitted this to the code wizard today. We’ll see what he says. It may be that another of the involved code wizards will need to take a crack at it.

Anonymous

I’d love it if the Recent Topics list (like on the Home page) updated to the most recent topic commented on rather the most recent NEW topic made. It’s really not very helpful as it is for the real-estate it is taking up on pages. If it can’t reflect the most recent commented on topic, then I’d just as soon see that box nixed and the Latest Uploads extended into that area. Preferably, though, I’d rather see Recent Topics if it can be altered.

“I’d love it if the Recent Topics list (like on the Home page) updated to the most recent topic commented on rather the most recent NEW topic made. It’s really not very helpful as it is for the real-estate it is taking up on pages. If it can’t reflect the most recent commented on topic, then I’d just as soon see that box nixed and the Latest Uploads extended into that area. Preferably, though, I’d rather see Recent Topics if it can be altered.”

I’m not sure I quite follow what you mean. However, if I’m reading this correctly, you’d rather see the most recent comment at the top of the forum, instead of seeing the whole of the conversation? Or, if someone leaves a comment on an item within a thread show that item and the comment first?
      I think I need more specific information so that I can follow what you mean, please.

“I’d love it if the Recent Topics list (like on the Home page) updated to the most recent topic commented on rather the most recent NEW topic made. It’s really not very helpful as it is for the real-estate it is taking up on pages. If it can’t reflect the most recent commented on topic, then I’d just as soon see that box nixed and the Latest Uploads extended into that area. Preferably, though, I’d rather see Recent Topics if it can be altered.”

Unfortunately, the forum that use, which is intimately tied to other aspects of the site functionality doesn’t work that way. In fact, I don’t believe that I’ve seen a forum that does. However, I’ll keep it in mind and when next I have the opportunity to discuss items with the developer will add that to the list.

smokeyvw
    Participant

i just posted a song “Synestia 3” and it came up as some other artist

i saw this is a known problem, i hope you can fix this soon!

thank you

It was fixed, Smokeyvw. Sometime it takes us a couple of minutes to see it to, but, generally, we try get to get on top of it quickly. Thank you for being patient.

smokeyvw
    Participant

many thanks!

badstonemusic
    Participant

i see some of my wishes were touched on
    editting my uploads, etc

how about seeing all your songs on the profile page – it stops at 5 on mine and doesnt let you see any prior

will there be site charts (ie genre etc) later on?

outside of a wishlist – Im just stoked we have a place again
    thanks!!

RubyDubidoux
    Participant

From Deputy Doofy:

While I’m sure you want cold, hard “cash” still, I’m wondering if you’d be willing to set up and accept Bitcoin or something comparable. I’d be happy to send small amounts your way from time to time.

I’m also big on Solidity development (more on the learning and tinkering side), which means I’ve been making “tokens” (Smart Contracts) on a blockchain similar to Ethereum, but nowhere near the expense of Ethereum. In other words, we could find ways to make a token to be given out as another way of “liking” or “tipping” good tunes.

Just running with ideas we could eventually add to the site, even if only for donations to you guys and nothing else.

Dylmusic
    Participant

All suggestions above are good and useful ones…
    No rush about these :
    • When a comment is made on a song, is it possible that the email sent is not mentioning the direct email address and the IP of the author of the comment ? It seems a little too much info (the idea is not to reply directly to the commenter, but to use this website). A simple link to the song (or forum) page, in this email, is enough, maybe. Or have the possibility to allow (or not) this info in the email notifications ?
    • Maybe im wrong but i cant find the “music genre” on the song page ?
    • More music genres would be cool : Indie / Pop / Singer-songwriter …
    • The number of latest uploads could be longer…
    • It seems that when we click on someones name, links are broken (https://indiemusic.space/author/someonesname/ are not existing)

Anyway, it’s a really cool start. Thanks again for it !

RubyDubidoux
    Participant

From Deputy Doofy:

1) The big reply box should say “Leave A Comment” rather than reply. Why? There’s already a reply link under someone’s comment and may confuse people as to whether they’re replying to a person or “replying” to a song… the latter not really being a reply.

2) Play a song. While the song is playing, enter some stuff in the comment box. Use your arrow keys to move the cursor…. and the music player reacts also. The music player shouldn’t react to arrow keys if it doesn’t have focus.

Anonymous

Oh my gosh! After reading Dyl’s suggestion/comment about our email addresses being on notifications that go to an artist when we comment on their song I checked a notification I had received and sure enough the commenter’s personal address in there. I had not even noticed that before now. I sure hope this can be corrected. I will not make another comment on a song until I know that my address isn’t being shared. Wow! That’s a biggie, for me.

RubyDubidoux
    Participant

I didn’t realize this either…there’s gotta be a check box fix for this…i hope!

smokeyvw
    Participant

i don’t want my email address spread around at all. this must be fixed pronto.

We are working on this issue and DO realize how important it is to some.

COMMENTS on music have been disabled until a equitable solution can be found.

Again, your patience means that we can get things fixed more quickly and it is appreciated.

RubyDubidoux
    Participant

On behalf of scaustrita:

July 13, 2019 at 8:34 pm
    scaustrita

Participant
    I uploaded 2 files, 69 Chevy, & 69 Chevy Impala. Both will not play. I can see the wave form but when I click on play, they do not start. The files are 320 bit mp3 files. Please delete these files, and give me better instructions for uploading files…

July 13, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Rich

I’m seeing that both posts are not able to play because they can find, or play, the audio file associated.
    I’m unsure if the problem is with the bit rate, or something else, I’d recommend lowering the bit rate to see if that fixes it.

I will continue to investigate the issue as well, on this end.

I will remove the posts that are not playing from the site, to lessen any confusion.

Anonymous

I was looking at the genre pages, like Rock, where all the songs that have been tagged as Rock are listed – I notice that the songs listed do not have an artist’s name. I would like to see who the artist is with each song title, please.

You were looking at one of the sub-genres.
      I agree that they should have the names showing on that page as well and will look into why it is not.

Dylmusic
    Participant

Hello there. I see that the issue “Author links leading to blank pages” is fixed, but now there’s no link to the musician page on each song page… (name is very small and no link under the “play” button).
    And no mention of the genre (chosen by the musician) too, on each song pages…
    And about the music menu : the genres and sub-genres maybe need some work… I’ve uploaded a track that is instrumental but by no means “classical”…And folk is not a sub-genre of country, as reggae is not a sub-genre of blues (i guess).
    All this is absolutely no “emergency”, but maybe worth looking into in the future !

RubyDubidoux
    Participant

On behalf of Badstone music.

Thanks for letting me know

thats awesome

Im a little bummed that when they go to my page they cannot see all the songs – if you are a featured artist – shouldnt they be able to see all your work – Primm Nevada 1990 deserves plays but no one can see it while Im featured

RubyDubidoux Sent 7 minutes agoStar Message
    I KNOWWWWW it! I’m really hoping that Rich can fix that… we need a continuous list of songs….But I can plug your songs in chat…that will help!

And I’m hoping if people go to your profile, they’ll see all your songs… 🙂 BUT I see that Primm Nevada isn’t showing up in your song list on your profile.
    Presently, Rich is investigating why artist names aren’t showing up on some of the genre’s. I’m pretty sure this is what’s causing this song to not appear in your profile, as it’s not attached to your name.

I found it by searching for the title.

In any case, I plugged it on the FB group page. It’s a great song!

CU!

RubyDubidoux
    Participant

Not sure if you know it Rich, but a few weeks ago when you experimenting with color changes for the the “recent topics” changed to the color pink.

I know you have trouble seeing colors, but wanted to bring this to your attention. Do you want the topics linked in Recent Topics to be red like the other colors?

I’m also noticing that when you click on a link, almost any link, the text is pink. Must be that PINK is the designated color for ‘after you click on a link”….I’m sure this will be at the last page of your to do list.

I think I figured out what you mean and fixed the colors a bit.
      Let me know if they need more tweaking.

Deputy Doofy
    Participant

Is it weird to anyone else to have a forum header called “Bug Reports” but only one “Bug Report” topic in said section to fill up? Maybe that’s why I keep posting in the “wrong” place. Just my 2¢.

The first uploaded song, Techno Genesis is now missing from my songs page. 🙁
    https://indiemusic.space/members/doofymusic/songs/

RubyDubidoux
    Participant

on behalf of Deputy Doofy:

July 18, 2019 at 7:47 am #1431EDIT | CLOSE | STICK (TO FRONT) | MERGE | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Deputy Doofy

Participant
    The first uploaded song, Techno Genesis is now missing from my songs page. 🙁
    https://indiemusic.space/members/doofymusic/songs/

July 18, 2019 at 8:31 am #1433EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Rich

The song is still on the site. However, the artist profile song area is only, at present, capable of listing 5 tracks.

I’ve been looking into this and hope to find a way to list the full number of artist tracks.

July 18, 2019 at 8:32 am #1434EDIT | MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY

Deputy Doofy

Participant
    Ah, ok. Glad to know it’s there, at least.

Anonymous

Any updates? How’s it going?

I’ve looked in on the site every so often and I notice that the Top Songs list hasn’t changed. I think this is unfair to all artists who have posted songs here. Apparently, there isn’t a functioning data base to feed the calculation of what makes it to the Top Songs list. Until that is working and there is enough activity on the site to have healthy calculations, wouldn’t it be fairer to not have it at all. Maybe just a placeholder instead?

I appreciate your asking about the status of things, Bec. We are working on a number of things and to be honest the ‘Top Songs’ list isn’t a high priority at the moment. The artist name issue still takes the number 1 seat on that list. Rest assured that we are working on a number of things that need fixing, adjusting or correcting. Sometimes, however, we can get to everything that is a priority for everyone else right away.

Rich

Dylmusic
    Participant

Hey Rich. I dont want to annoy anyone, but it would be nice to know if some of the issues mentioned above are on the way to be fixed or not “fixable” at all. Some of them are rather important, just to follow other artists posts (and on a personal level, the “no cover” rule will prevent me to upload 99.9% of my work on this site…)
    So, are some of those on the mend or dead in the water ?

• Follow artists and get a notification (and also, a list of my “followed musicians” uploads on the homepage) when they post new tracks ? I saw the function appear in the last few days, tried to use it, then it disappeared…
    • When you enter through the Music menu, you get only the song titles, not the name (or, better, link to) of the artist
    • When you are on any song page, no link to the author, and no mention of the genre (rock, indie…)
    • On the newest song area of the home page, genre is not visible too.
    • When i type a comment on someone’s song, the song “play” function gets hacked and jumpy. I know : i can wait until the end of this song and comment after. But when inspiration chimes…

Thank you. I understand not all requests can be fixed, i just want to know if some of them will be…
    Dyl

Hi Dylan,
    I appreciate your listing these items out again.

The follow function was removed due to an issue and it will, hopefully, return once I get the issue figured out and solved.

I understand what you are saying about the issue of songs displaying better, with more information and proper links. I will try to get the code author to work on getting that modified to where it is actually useful.

The comment issue is a complicated issues and a bit of a tricky wicket. The code author is working on something that will, hopefully, solve that, but it is a pretty big project that may change the overall look of the site. Once he gets something completed we will likely be one of the first allowed to test if and implement it, if it works.

Rich

Dylmusic wrote “on a personal level, the “no cover” rule will prevent me to upload 99.9% of my work”

An additional note on the ‘Cover’ rule…
    If you have the license work done to be able to do the cover for publishing on sites like this, then, by all means, let me know and you can then publish them.
    I just don’t want to end up in the pokey. Sorry, if that isn’t satisfactory.

Dylmusic
    Participant

Rich, i understand the rule, i respect it and i know why it’s there. No problem. It’s just that i wont pay to get a license for a cover when i dont make a single cent from it. I do this when i publish an album, distributed on paid streaming services… i’m all for legal !!
    And Rich in the pokey is something i dont want to see !

Dylmusic
    Participant

Hi Rich ! I see that the “follow” function is back. So i follow some and i’m followed… Cool. But what exactly is the meaning of this ? When my “favs” are posting new songs for example, do i get a notification (of any kind) ? That would be nice…to not miss any of their work.

I tend to agree with you, Dylan. I don’t see much value added in the “Follow” function, especially if it doesn’t notify, via email, one of any activity by those they follow.
      The plug-in that is used for the follow function states:
      “This plugin adds:
      Following / Followers tabs to user profile pages
      Follow / Unfollow buttons on user profile pages and in the members directory
      A new “Following” activity directory tab
      An “Activity > Following” subnav tab to a user’s profile page
      Menu items to the WP Toolbar”

It doesn’t mention anything about notifications. And, based on what I can see from my use of it, it doesn’t appear to include any music posting activity, be it posting a song, or commenting on a song.
      It appears to cover only items pertaining to actions taken in their profile (updated profile pic, etc.) or in the forums.

Again, I agree with you that it doesn’t appear very useful. Unfortunately, there isn’t much in the way of other “follow” plug-ins available to replace it with.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Site Issues You Should Be Aware Of

1. NOTE: Spammers WILL be BANNED.
  2. Posting a comment on a song will reload the page, as the comment is saved. This will stop the play of music that may be currently playing.
  3. DO NOT include special characters in your song filenames and titles. this appears to cause issues with the file being able to be properly uploaded.
  4. Software engineers are working to correct these issues and we are working with them and apologize for any inconvenience.
  5. For further information on IMS, please see our F.A.Q. pages: https://indiemusic.space/forums/forum/faq-creation-area/